American Literature, 9-12, 10:30
Assorted novels will be required. At the bottom of this section, I have provided ISBN numbers. It is better for the students if we are all literally on the same page. The smaller works - like essays, short stories, or poetry - will be provided by the tutor.
Over the course of the year, we will journey through the different literary periods of American Literature. By using these literary works, we will examine our country’s diverse heritage and culture from the perspective of men and women who have shaped our country through their writing.
• We will analyze novels, short stories, essays, plays, political cartoons, and poetry.
• Reading time will vary among students.
• Strong opinions, thought-provoking questions and interesting ideas are welcomed and encouraged!
• Students will learn how to annotate and analyze a work of literature, a valuable skill for collegiate writing and improved comprehension.
• Students will continue to refine their writing and public speaking skills (and have fun!) through short essays, creative writing, and imaginative presentations.
*Summer & winter break reading WILL BE REQUIRED.
**Parents are strongly recommended to preview all books for content. While I am not selecting any books uncommon to HS level literature classes, we will be addressing challenging topics. Please be mindful that the material is appropriate for your unique student. If you have any concerns or questions, please email me at email@example.com.
PLEASE ORDER THE EXACT BOOKS WITH THE ISBN LISTED BELOW. IT HELPS IF WE ARE ALL LITERALLY ON THE SAME PAGE. The rest of the literature options will be sent online or given out in class by the teacher.
Wonder by R J Palacio
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
The Whole Story: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
The Giver by Lois Lowery
(Any version, you are reading this over Christmas)
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
ISBN - 13: 978-0-7432-7356-5
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
A Raisin in the Sun is a play so we will be viewing the movie when we cover this.